Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sunday's Boring Bits and Pieces

I'm reading the book CHI Running. I like the concept that running doesn't have to be hard and that we spend a lot of energy running inefficiently. Sounds like a great thing to learn. I plan to start trying the techniques on my runs next week.

That "race" I did on the 4th really took a toll on my runs on Wednesday and Thursday. I ended up walking a good portion of both of them. It was hard not to beat myself up about it.
Sis and I did a great 5 miles yesterday however, considering the temperature was about 90 degrees. We saw a Coyote off the road too. First time I've ever seen a coyote in the wild... WILD

Today is my cross training day and it's looking like it is going to be another HOT one. I'm thinking about going on a quick 40 minute hike and then finishing my cross training by doing some sorely needed yardwork before it gets too hot. Is mowing good cross training?

We're doing 19 miles next week including 9 miles on Saturday. I'm a little nervous. I think I'm more nervous the week we do 40 miles (including the 20 miler) than doing the actual marathon itself.

Hope you all have fab runs and a great week.

7 Comments:

Blogger SRR said...

Uh..Yeah, I think Mowing definitely should count as X-Training! Don't be nervous! You'll be fabulous!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read ChiRunning - I found that I have gotten faster.

12:20 PM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

The book on CHI running sounds interesting. I will have to check it out.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Backofpack said...

I've heard of that book, but don't know anyone who's read it. Maybe I'll check it out too. I was hoping it had to do with drinking Chai tea after your run, but I guess not.

You'll do fine on the big mile weeks, they just creep up on you!

10:01 AM  
Blogger sunshine said...

Ditto on the miles just creeping it. All of a sudden you're doing a 20-miler and thinking, "oh, it's really not that bad."

9:21 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I agree with Sunshine...I remember dreading 20 miles and then when it got here, I was just like "wow, I just did that."

The book sounds interesting. Maybe I'll check it out when I'm through with Bitter is the New Black (memoirs of an unemployed blogger).

Have a great week!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

Reading about your race brought me back to 1978. I used to jog then, not far, just laps around my block. One time I was on a runner's high or delerious, and I was running hard and imagining I was in a race and crowds were cheering on both sides of the street. I didn't know any runners or anything about racing, or even anything about running (I messed up my knee pretty good on that run.) A quarter-century later, I started running in races.

It's understandable that you're nervous about putting on the miles, but that's what training is for. You'll stretch a little more each week, and gain confidence. When you start to taper, you'll look at 9 miles as a piece of cake, because you KNOW you can do it.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home