Thursday, July 06, 2006

4th of July "Race" report....Me against the World...Part II

So the 1st mile of my run was pretty uneventful. The pace felt faster than normal, but I was careful not to go out too fast only to run out of steam for the last part. The footraces already started so I looked like a lost straggler out there on that course.

My Garmin beeps. 1 mile 12:23. Not the fastest mile I've ever done (I think I grazed 11:59 once ), but I'll take it.

I soon heard the familair sound of a runner behind me. I turn and see a runner catching up to me.

"Hiya." He says "Run this route often?" I try to keep focused on my running, but can't help to notice this guy is cute. Is this a runner pickup line?

"Yep--sure do" I replied.

He is faster than me, but we run side by side for a minute or so. I keep up with him.

"So, does the 10k turn up here" Pointing to an approaching road with a steep incline.

"Yep" I reply again. Gosh, I wish I was more of a converstationalist on my runs. "But, I normally continue along this road where the hills aren't so bad."

"Well," He says "I think I'm going to give this hill a shot. Have a good run"

"Bye" I reply feebly, and once again I'm on my own.

Everything feels pretty good at this point--I feel myself running a little faster. Unfortunately, my heart monitor is doing something really funny today--either saying I'm at 225 or not reading a hear rate at all. Just as well, because I'm racing dammit!

I reach the half way point at 1.5 and turn back for home. I'm still doing fine. My breathing is getting a bit heavier, but my legs feel strong and my strides feel steady.

Things start to get tough at the 2 mile mark. Both brain and body start to revolt. My brain starts complaining "well you've just done a 2 mile PR, isn't that enough? It's a holiday for gosh sake. Give yourself a break and take a walk break." My breathing is getting more labored, it's an effort to keep up my mile 2 pace.

But still I run on.

My brain tells me, "no one knows you're doing this, no one is waiting for the results!" But I am, I answered back. Plus, this would make a nice post if I actually do this. And I would be so proud.

"Fuck me..." my brain says...over and over and over again.

Still I run on.

I pass a group of girls that have finished the race and are walking home. One of the girls has a shirt that said, "Pain is Temporary, but _________ lasts forever." I didn't catch the whole phrase. But that's my new cadence...

Pain is temporary, pain is temporary, pain is temporary......

1/2 mile to go, I rejoin the running course. Some 10K'er (10 mile pacers at this point) are doing their last 1/2 mile. And I run with them for a hundred feet--I try to draw from their energy....I plug on.

I turn off the main road towards my house. I look at the Garmin 2.80. Only .20 left to do...
Pain is temporary...fuck me....pain is temporary....fuck me....pain is temporary...

Garmin beeps at 3:00. Total time 35:15!

I "run" into the house and check all my 3 milers. My previous PR was 39:50! I beat it by over 4 1/2 minutes!
Here are my splits (negative splits!)

Mile 1 - 12:23
Mile 2 - 11:28
Mile 3 - 11:19

I can't say I invented slow, Jeanne stakes claim on that, but I'm really happy with these times. So maybe in a year or so........

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good race! I might have to steal your tag line!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PR!!!

1:59 PM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

Awesome run! It really does feel good to do something awesome!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Backofpack said...

Nice job on the PR! It's really a mental battle isn't it? You did it though - next time it'll be easier.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

Ha! My brain has the same potty mouth yours has! Good job racing! We have to see what we are capable of doing.

Your version is more colorful, but the quote is attributed to Lance Armstrong.

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

As someone who has quit during the first two marathons, I agree with him. Quitting sucks.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home