Saturday, June 17, 2006

Bad Run. Bad, Evil, Run.

The plan today was to do 6 miles. We would run for 3 minutes, walk for 2 and so on. We would avoid hills and we would have fun. We would also do the run early before it got very hot.

We should've stuck with our plans.

The last run we did together, we run 4, walked for 1 minute (4/1), etc. It was a 3 miler and a recovery week. I've been running 3 and 4 miles without walking breaks on my own--my sister is almost up to that stage as well. So what did we decide?

We would start with 4/2, go to Foothill park (hills), and play it by ear. Oh, and we also didn't start the run until 11:30AM.

Bad Idea.

The run started out fine, but as soon as we got to the park's trails, the weather turned HOT. We knew it was going to be hot today (mid 90s)--but there is something about trail running and the reflective surface (or something) of the adobe clay trails that just RADIATES heat.
I was dying a mile into it.

To complicate matters, we decided to go on some newer trails to increase the distance we would run in the park. My sister (who claimed she knew the trails well), would say "let's take this one , it's flat over that ridge" only to be faced with another dreaded hill and steeps ones at that.

My heart rate monitor showed my heart rate at about 167 bmp (which is roughly around 95% of max), and I started to feel a bit dizzy and thirsty. My skin felt prickly too.

At 2.5 miles (I can't believe we only did 2.5 miles at this point) we decided to leave the park and just run on the flat road. We stopped at the park entrance which has the only water fountain in the park and drank up. I was feeling a bit sick to my stomach at this point too and NOW finally understand how people can't just eat anything during runs.

We did the rest of the run on by our original plan of 3/2. And we were slow. I haven't even synched up the Garmin yet, but let's just say we were very slow. I think someone using a walker might have beaten us.

But...we did do the distance--which is always the goal. And we learned our lesson...And what's the lesson?

1. Don't be overly ambitious with a new distance
2. Gauge the weather, and plan appropriately
3. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate


PS...I did get the ipod and have done a couple of runs to the book on tape. I want to give it a few more runs before I post my "review".

3 Comments:

Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Yes! Misery does love company and reading this has made me happy because my run today sucked rotten eggs!

Here's to a better one next time - for both of us!

7:31 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

hey, i invented SLOW, so you can't claim any prizes there. I have been EXACTLY where you are, and it ain't so pretty. it's actually takes more stamina to do those intervals and stay out there longer.

So hang in there, and next time beat that heat; it'll dropkick the stuffing outta you!

11:30 AM  
Blogger SRR said...

Is skin feeling "prickly" a good thing? Because that happens to me too!

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home