Sunday, June 04, 2006

Three Two's

I LOVE getting up early on Sunday mornings in the Summertime. There is something wonderfully calming at the stillness of the hour....but I digress.

Yesterday we had to do 5.5 miles. My sister had the great idea of coming over to my house, run in my neighborhood, and with her kids in the double-stroller, on the pretense that they needed to get out and they were driving her crazy.

BAD IDEA.

It didn't help that it was 90+ degrees out, that we promised the 2 year old neice that we would go swimming after the run, and that my nephew had a raging bout of colic (or something). We ran 2.5 and quit. No problems splitting up the run when all systems failed... Is there???

Fast forward 5 hours later. Fun time at the swimming "resort" had by all. My sister and I felt like such rebels to sneak and eat our lunches by the pool (no food or drink allowed in pool area), only to be squashed by a couple of kids blatantly eating their ice creams IN the pool--without the lifeguard even commenting. Gosh, we can be like old ladies sometime! Digressed again....

With the kids deposited with sis' husband, we finished up the run in her neighborhood.

We decided to try running 3 minutes then walking 2 for the duration of the run. Here are our splits:

Mile 1 - 16.26 (started off with 2 minutes walking--then decided to do so trail..ie hill running)
Mile 2 - 15:46
Mile 3 - 15:24

The times are going in the right direction!!

My sis is still slower than me--I'm having her dictate the pace on the "runs" we do together. I can push myself on my solo runs a bit (and push I don't mean in speed as much as just running the whole distance without walk breaks). The goal for October is to start and finish and not be killed in the process. It's too early to say whether we will do a three/two, and four/one, or even a two/three. We've got 19 more weeks to train.

Next Saturday we've got a 3 mile "recovery" run--and we're gonna try a four/one.

Gosh...I just realized it's 7:30 and 1 hour into the SD Rock n' Roll Marathon....Good luck to all who are running it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home