Thursday, May 04, 2006

It's a Boy! Finally!!

My sister finally had her baby. The labor and delivery had everything...suspense, drama, humor--what more can you ask for.

Last Thursday evening my sister calls my cellphone about 11:30pm. Her contractions had just started 1/2 before, and they were pretty strong and 5 minutes apart. She finally knew that this was 'IT' and told me to meet her at the hospital.

On my drive to the hospital, I was closely followed by a police vehicle. I'm sure I was driving a little fast and maybe a bit irratic, especially before I noticed him. I had my "Officer, my little sister is in labor" speech all prepared, but he finally turned away. After forgetting exactly where the hospital was (a couple of wrong turns, then freeway off-ramps closed for construction), I finally arrive at the hospital.

My sister was already checked in, epidural ordered, and in the shower. She was a "good" 4 centimeters dilated. She didn't want to take any chances with NOT getting the epidural in case her labor went quick--so she ordered it right away.

So sis comes out in the shower in a good feisty mood, got the IV in, the fluids started and was told that the doctor was on his way to give the epidural. At this point the contractions were beginning to get quite strong. I watched them on the monitor peak to 80% of the max and with the peak staying up there longer and longer. I told her that this was good marathon training (I can't repeat here with what she responded with).

About 1/2 hour later the doctor comes in to do the epidural. He puts in the catheter in her back and just as he is telling her to relax and let the medicine work, he gets a page and rushes out of the room. Apparently there was a girl in labor and her baby's heart rate dropped to nothing and they had to do an emergency c-section. My sister is left with the epidural started but not completed. We did hear later that the baby turned out fine!

The next hour was horrible. My sister, still waiting for the epidural, was having really bad contractions. She started vomiting and was just plain miserable. And I couldn't do much about it.

At 2:38 they check her again and she's was at 7 cm dilated. Still no doctor....She got a pain shot, but it didn't do much good. I feel helpless and my little sister is in agony.

At 2:50, she tells us that she feels like she has to go "poop", the nurse checks her and announces that we're gonna have a baby. Her husband whispers to me that he has to run down to the car to get the camera (somehow he forgot it), and the bed is modified for the birthing position.

The nurse midwife comes in at 2:53 and takes one look at my sister and asks where her husband is....I look and see that the baby's head is crowning. My sister is horrified that she's gotta do this without an epidural.

2:56...She has one good contraction...She pushes twice and the baby's head starts coming out.

2:58...Next contraction--Husband shows up (YAY!!)...Head is out..Boy he's got a lot of hair.

2:59...Another contraction...My sister is telling me how much it hurts and how she can't possibly push anymore. The midwife tells her it's critical that she push NOW...one last push and...


Meet Samuel....9 lbs 1 1/2 oz..Born 3:00 April 28th.

Sis and baby doing great. Sis called me today... she feels ready to run!!

1 Comments:

Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

What a healthy looking baby! In fact, he looks really mad!

Congrats to your sister and please tell her she only feels like she is ready to run. I had a 9 pound baby once and I can assure her she is NOT ready to run - not yet. All in good time.

ps - I don't live in Sonoma - I live in the East Bay.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home