Friday, April 21, 2006

I'm so Mental!!

I love to hike! There is a state park about a 5 minute drive from where I live with lots of beautiful trails. One of the best short hikes is a steep descent to a beautiful, large waterfall.
However, once you enjoy the waterfall, you have to climb back up the trail to get back to your car. When I first started exercising a few years ago, I would have to take at least 5 breaks--because I was just so winded and my calves were SCREAMING! As I got more into shape, the number of breaks decreased until finally I could do the whole thing without a rest.

Today, I can still do the climb without breaks, but boy do I get winded! Now that I have the Garmin, I am meaning to do the climb and see where my max heart rate is--and then compare the climbs over a period of time.

Anyways...back to the mental part. When I'm climbing up, I really don't have any desire to take a break no matter my physical discomfort. However, when I'm running, I will think of a thousand reasons why I should walk.

The funny part is sometimes when I'm running I imagine that I'm hiking instead and then do a body check. My discomfort level is never anywhere near where it is when I'm hiking--yet my "mind" is pleading for a walk. Is it boredom? or something else? I don't really understand it...

2 Comments:

Blogger jeanne said...

my brain still screams "walk!" every time I run...i'm getting much better at resisting...i blame galloway and his damn run/walk training for this state of affairs!

9:06 AM  
Blogger TriZilla said...

Hey there - Thanks for the visit! I hope the boy comes soon - Your sis must be ready!

Funny, I went to one of my fav places for hiking yesterday for a RUN. It was great!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home