Friday, April 21, 2006

I'm so Mental!!

I love to hike! There is a state park about a 5 minute drive from where I live with lots of beautiful trails. One of the best short hikes is a steep descent to a beautiful, large waterfall.
However, once you enjoy the waterfall, you have to climb back up the trail to get back to your car. When I first started exercising a few years ago, I would have to take at least 5 breaks--because I was just so winded and my calves were SCREAMING! As I got more into shape, the number of breaks decreased until finally I could do the whole thing without a rest.

Today, I can still do the climb without breaks, but boy do I get winded! Now that I have the Garmin, I am meaning to do the climb and see where my max heart rate is--and then compare the climbs over a period of time.

Anyways...back to the mental part. When I'm climbing up, I really don't have any desire to take a break no matter my physical discomfort. However, when I'm running, I will think of a thousand reasons why I should walk.

The funny part is sometimes when I'm running I imagine that I'm hiking instead and then do a body check. My discomfort level is never anywhere near where it is when I'm hiking--yet my "mind" is pleading for a walk. Is it boredom? or something else? I don't really understand it...

3 Comments:

Blogger jeanne said...

my brain still screams "walk!" every time I run...i'm getting much better at resisting...i blame galloway and his damn run/walk training for this state of affairs!

9:06 AM  
Blogger 'Zilla said...

Hey there - Thanks for the visit! I hope the boy comes soon - Your sis must be ready!

Funny, I went to one of my fav places for hiking yesterday for a RUN. It was great!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there using the run walk method while keeping the heart rate down. It was painfully slow for me too! It seemed like more work to run that slow! But I'm going to keep it up and see if it pays off in a few weeks or so! Let me know how yours works out for you!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home