Sunday, July 02, 2006

GUMBY Legs

Our 7 miler yesterday went pretty well for the most part. We both felt our breathing and our heart rates were under control. It was hotter than we anticipated (about 85), but we were both sufficiently hydrated--although we both agreed that we needed some kind of hydration thingie now that we're doing longer runs. I'm looking at the waist mounted Camelbak
rather than a fuel belt where I have to mess with little bottles. Anyone have any opinions on this? I would LOVE to hear them.

Anyways....we did do a pretty hilly course, which felt pretty good going out, but coming back our legs starged feeling like gumby legs--rubbery and without much strength. I'm sure you have all endured this in your runs. So is this something that can be prevented, or something that will go away as we get stronger, or something that just happens no matter what shape you're in? Even after the run, just walking around the house was tiring on our legs.

Today my legs feel pretty good, I went on a 2 mile hike without issue.

Any words o' running wisdom is always appreciated!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger SRR said...

BEN GAY!!! It will become your best friend!! :-)

7:56 PM  
Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

Just found your blog! Good luck training for your 1st marathon! BTW, I can relate the the gumby leg feeling.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Backofpack said...

Thanks for the comments on my blog! I had gumby legs yesterday, coming down the mountain. I don't usually get them during a run - but after a lot of running, I'll have the heavy leg feeling the next day. I think it'll go away as your fitness improves.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I tend to like the bottles better than the hydration belt because I like a little variety. I fill half the bottles with gatorade and water in the other half. With the belt, I tend to get bored with whatever I'm drinking.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home