Tuesday, July 04, 2006

4th of July "Race" report....Me against the World...Part I

I know what you're thinking..."Hey, she didn't say nothing about running any race"

Well...up to about an hour and a half ago, I didn't know I was running one either.

The noise started early this morning--5:45AM to be exact. The sound of cars going slowly down my street. I live in a very small town with a population of about 1000, and on a very quiet street where I'm lucky to hear 1 car go by every 1/2 hour. One day a year the entire town gets taken over completely. By completely, I mean between 5000 and 10,000 people (many on Harley's) appear out of the abyss and congregate at a little quiet park 1 block away from my house.

For what you ask??

Well.....

You ready for this??

The World Pillow Fighting Championships!







Yes, you got that right. Here's a pic for the disbelievers....

I actually competed for a couple of years (on dares from friends and family). I stopped after one year, my opponents actually growled and snarled at me on that pole (and yes that's gross muddy water that we get the pleasure of being knocked into).

Anyways....before the pillowfights, the town hosts a 3 and 10K run that starts at 7:30AM sharp. Eager runners start showing up early...Today it was 5:45 AM!

They broadcastin from the sound stage at exactly 6:45 AM (I can hear every word from my backyard). A very unique warbling (warbling is what it was) of the Star Spangled Banner was presented at 7:00AM. Nothing compares to waking up to that, I tell you...but then I was already up at 6:00

At 7:00, I'm on the computer (just like I am now), looking up past race results for the 10k. I'm told it's a very fast run and very challenging (crazy hills). Last year...the last runner come in with a 14:30 average pace (we run/walk our long runs at this point). So, not unless I want to come in dead last, take 1 1/2 hours from my 4th of July prep, I would have to pass. I considered doing the 3K, but I'm supposed to do 3 miles today, and I had a hard time justifying paying a $25 entry fee to run 1.86 miles on a route that I run all the time.

Without having breakfast, I lace up my running shoes and strap on the Garmin. I decided to do my normal 3 mile route, but pretend that I'm in a race. There will be plenty of runners out there this morning (part of my run will be on the actual course, I will just run on the opposite side of the street), maybe I'll feel the spirit of the race (whatever the hell that means).

I'm doing this, because I really don't know how to race, or how to pace. My objective these last 4 months was to do the distance. I never cared very much about pace before. I usually run the 3 miles in around the mid-13 to close-to-14 minute pace. But that pace, is getting rather comfortable.......

So...what happens if I really push myself? What happens if I just keep on running even though my heart and body is begging me to stop? What kind of time would I get. Could I even do it??

OMG...the time! I'm supposed to be at Morton's in 45 minutes to reserve a bbq spot and I still have to pack and blow-dry my hair...

I'll post part II (The Race) later....

HAPPY 4th!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger MNFirefly said...

The Pillow fight competition looks fun.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Backofpack said...

That pillow fight thing is just crazy! I can't wait to hear how your personal race turns out...

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a lot of fun. I can relate about not wanting to pay to run your usual run. They should pay *you*, right? After all, they are taking over your trail! I am looking forward to reading..."the rest of the story"

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm in. I want to be part of the pillow fight - how fun even if you end up in gross water.

3:51 PM  
Blogger sunshine said...

That looks like SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

7:57 PM  
Blogger SRR said...

HELLO?? Finish the damn story! I'm going to bed and I won't be able to sleep because I don't know the outcome! :-)

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home