Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Spilled my Chi, Lost My Mojo

So, I've been reading ChiRunning and went on my run last night with the intention of trying out ALL of the techniques. Never mind about just trying one or 2 at a time to get used to the concepts. Never mind the warm up exercises--I don't have time to hassle with that...I wanted to run!
So Run I did. There's a lot to remember with ChiRunning, and I'll describe what I tried to do:
Good posture: Head up, body straight, chest back so I can see my shoe laces if I looked down....
Deep breathing: Out for 3 steps, in for 2 (This actually feels natural to me)
Arms at 90 degree angles: Pump those arms behind you...Keep em bent.
Feet: Pick up your feet, like you have to step over a pole.
Stance: With your posture straight...Lean forward...This WILL propel you forward.
Muscles: Relaxed. Keep you calves feeling loosely goosey (and everything else for that matter)
Mind: Non-judging
Any guesses on what happened????

I lasted almost a mile until I notice my heart rate up around 90%. There's a photo in the book where the runner had an incorrect lean (bending at the waist) and the caption noted that she was losing her CHI.
Losing her CHI.
Instead of positive visualization or no-mind. I visualized my warm energized chi spilling all over the road with my bad posture! My precious energy gone.
And my MOJO too.
It turned out to be a lovely evening for a walk.
Lessons learned:
1. Follow the guidelines in the freaking book
2. Don't do too much at once.
3. Patience! Doing correct posture for 100 feet doesn't mean mastery!

6 Comments:

Blogger MNFirefly said...

I agree. Too much too soon is very bad. But don't give up on trying.

4:49 PM  
Blogger *jeanne* said...

It sounds so HARD!!!
Just run. Then add one little change at a time, until you've added them all?
I never read the book, but I've seen some articles on the technique. Sounds like it's good, but not if it feels unnatural.

One step at a time - like marathon training...

5:39 PM  
Blogger sunshine said...

I laughed out loud as I was reading because I picturing my chi spilling out across the road! :)

Hang in there! You'll soon get it down and then it'll be second nature.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha. I tried them all at once too and hurt so bad. But, I'm doing much better after a month - thanks for reminding about the right breathing techique I will try that tomorrow. Best of luck

7:32 PM  
Blogger Backofpack said...

I think any change to your "natural" running form is hard, so trying so many at once was probably impossible! Keep us posted on your progress and how or if, you think it's helping.

8:41 AM  
Blogger SRR said...

Well...at least you learned something!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home