Saturday, April 26, 2008

Don't get your hopes up!

So, my daughter is now 18 and has exactly 23 school days until graduation; and I believe she's going to keep me guessing on if she's actually going to walk until the last possible moment. She's had really bad senoiritis, some legitimate illnesses and complications, and a new boyfriend who is not in school and lives 2 blocks away from campus.

It's a very bad combination.

She got a failure notice in one of her classes and she's got a lot of making up to do to pass that class, then she's short a credit so she's got to take an extra after school class for 2 weeks. This is on top of a makeup night science class that she's taking at the adult high school.

I have actually given up at the thought of her graduation on time and seeing her walk with her classmates. Grieve is more like it; but she suddenly has a renewed motivation to do it. It's going to be a hard and exhausting month for her and she buckles under stress quite easily, so...I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I know what she doesn't complete this Spring, she'll finish at the adult high school in the Summer, but she's my only kid and it would be nice to see her walk.

So Friday night she told me her biological dad called her and told her to save him a ticket for her graduation (he lives in Massachusetts), and she asked me if she should even get her hopes up that he'll come. You know what I wanted to answer her with, but in the end I told her not to dwell on it.

She's at a teen Buddhist retreat right now for the weekend and she usually comes back from them centered and motivated. I hope it helps her decide what she wants to do...deal with the stress and exhaustion of finishing on time, or letting it slide until Summer.

I'm trying not to be emotional about it around her. I find that it just makes the stress worse for both of us. I'll let you know next month what happens.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

My fingers are crossed for both of you chickie.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Your daughter is lucky to have you as a mom.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Hey your back to blogging. Glad you hit my blog, now I will relink you, I thought you had run away but darn good to see you back.

Yep the high school thing and boys. Hopefully she gets her head on straight and does what is right!

7:34 AM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

I hope that your daughter overcome the odds and graduates. I admire her for using Buddism and stay focused.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home