Saturday, March 31, 2007

Change in Plans

I decided not to run the Avenue of the Giants in May. It's a 4 hour drive from my house and that leaves me to spend the night somewhere up North. Of the places I called to get a reservation, they are all filled. The ones left are expensive and I really trying to be careful with my funds as I have had quite a few unexpected expenses over the last couple of months.

So...I'm signing up to do the SF Marathon (1/2 for me) in July. The neat thing about this race is that you can decide whether you want to run the first 1/2 (across the Golden Gate Bridge), or the last half which has a greater time limit but may not be as pretty.

I'm also thinking about "Bay to Breakers" at the end of May with my daughter which will be more of a fun people watching feast than anything. But it would be a way to get her out there, train lightly for a 12k, and just have some fun!

As far as a full marathon is concerned, I probably shouldn't shoulder yet the expense of doing Chicago in October, that one may have to wait a year. I'm also leary about doing those 15+ milers on my own (boring)--but I really want to do another marathon.

I know the Nike Marathon is going to sell out within a month so I have to make a decision soon!

One last thing: OSS week results 4 and 5 pretty much sucked...I guess I'm happy to say I haven't gained all my fat and weight back. I promise to post week 6 results and subject myself to riducule if my results bad.

9 Comments:

Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Bowing out of Avenue of the Giants sounds like the right thing to do.  The less glamorous side of running is that competing in these things can be expensive.  I was just talking with my friend Shea this morning about all the races we want to do, and I had to laugh about the cost of the airfare alone.

I do hope you are able to run at least one other long distance race this year.  If you can do the SF 1/2, I'll bet that would be a great time.

Do consider coming to Chicago if you can.  It's the 30th anniversary of the Chicago Marathon and it's going to be an amazing weekend.  If you book your arrangements now, it may not be so expensive.  Just a thought.

At the very least, Denise and I could take you out to dinner.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

A running friend of mine is doing Ave of the Giants. It sounds like a great place to run, but we can't do them all. I'm thinking about doing the SF 1/2, but am concerned I'll have too much going on at that time--I expect to be settling in to my new home. I'll let you know if I decide to run it, and we can meet up! I'm definitely running Nike in October, so I'm hoping you'll do that one. :-)

We will NEVER ridicule you for your OSS results.

5:58 PM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

Do what you have to do with the race. I hate it when things fill up when I least expect it. Ditto on what Josh says about you coming to Chicago.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have made some good decisions on your races for the year.

I also think that is awesome you get to pick which half you want to run.

Good luck at deciding which marathon to run.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

The pressure of deciding on runs! It can be stressful.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Faithful Soles said...

I understand the expense side of doing races. I'm not quite sure how some people can afford all that goes with the travel. It sounds to me like you are making a smart decision.

If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. I also have my own blog, but most of my information is on the main web site. Thanks and continued good luck in your training.

3:19 PM  
Blogger runliarun said...

Oh, you have to be comfortable with the circumstances.

It's indeed so cool that you can choose which half you run in San Francisco.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Jenniferlyn said...

I concur. It sound slike you made the right decision. I just bailed out of the Flying Pig becuase I know that I am just not ready.

Good luck in the SF half!!!! I really enjoy your blog!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Changing races is a good thing when the time is right to do so. Sounds like a good decision.

When are you coming to Long Island and run a race here?

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home