Friday, February 16, 2007

Quantitative Operation Swim Suit Goal

I just purchased one of those digital scales that also measures body fat. I've read that the technology for these have gotten much better over the last couple of years, and my scale boasts a .01% accuracy. I doubt that's true--but at least it gives me a ball-park.

I've never been one to be secretive about my age or weight. So where better than a blog viewed by the world to announce my present body fat % and my target goal??

The chart below lists the standard body fat recommendation for men and women (via wikipedia)

Description Women Men
Essential fat 10-13% 2-4%
Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
Acceptable 25–31% 18–25%
Obese 32%+ 25%+

I'm currently weighing 130 and have 23% body fat.

Yes, I'm at the fitness level. I think fitness level means you look decent in clothes, but questionable in a swimsuit. In the higher Athletic range--I would think you would look decent
in a swimsuit.

I don't really care about what I weigh, but I would love to get down to a 19ish body fat % (ie athletic!). That's about 4 pounds of fat, gone--and hopefully from my "problem areas".

So, here's the plan. Every Tuesday morning, I'll weigh in and post my results. I think posting my progress will help me to stay on track--Do I really want to post weight gains and more body fat? I think not!

In addition to following Hal's Half marathon training (which includes 2 days of weight training). I'm going to throw in another day of weight training.

As far as eating is concerned, I've given up candy (my biggest vice) and *trying* to eat more fruits and vegetables and less fat.

I really don't know how long this will take me--I guess it depends how hard I work. I would like to think 2 or 3 months--but realistically, it may take even longer.

Stay tuned.....

11 Comments:

Blogger Backofpack said...

I like those nice, solid and healthy goals. Good luck!

5:33 PM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

It's best to have the goals to be healthy than nothing at all.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Metamatician said...

I feel like I'm at 80% body fat. Well, good luck. I'm sure you'll accomplish what you put heart into.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

I have one of those digital bodyfat% scales, and I can testify to their inaccuracy.

My weekly weigh-in is on Friday.  When I stepped on the scale yesterday and saw that I hit 174 lbs. (4 lbs. ABOVE my start) I freaked out and re-joined Weight Watchers.  Then last night just for the hell of it I weighed myself and saw I was 168 lbs!  Finally this morning I tried again and came in at 172 lbs.

I think I had a point to this story, but I forgot what it was.  Sorry.

Anyway, it looks like you have a healthy attitude.  Good luck reaching your goals.

(You should post photos when you hit your target.)

3:21 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Just send me the chocolate and I will save them from you.

I need to measure myself on one of those scales. I know my body fat is probably lower than most but I want it under 8% if possible.

I am glad your focused on the fat % and not the weight. To many worry about the scale number and not the fitness portion.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

I'm impressed with your weight training goals. I haven't gotten past telling myself I should lift. Years ago I had 18% body fat, but I have no idea what it is now. My goal is to wear size 6. :-)

12:01 PM  
Blogger runliarun said...

Since I am running - okay, not right away - I started to eat fruit for one of the three meals a day, maybe with a cracker or two, sometimes with a bit of fancy cheese, to make it more interesting. It was easier than I thought.

8:30 AM  
Blogger teacherwoman said...

Good luck! I am afraid at where I would fall on that chart!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

You don't have that much to lose, or to tone anyway! Good luck!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Metamatician said...

Question about beginning running (for anyone to answer). I have only run a few times now, gently and following lots of advice on the web, etc. My legs have had no problems whatsoever in responding to a long layoff, they feel great. My lungs and heart are a different story, but I know they will catch up, I used to run track and cross country in high school and I have always developed good endurance naturally.

BUT...

My question is (and I'm sorry if this is the wrong plsce to post it) I am getting a worsening sharp pain just on the outside (and slightly under) the right patella, which hurts mostly when I extend my leg straight or get up from a seated position. Running, walking, or riding the stationary bike (again, leisurely) doesn't seem to make it especially worse, but it's been coming on over the last week or so and I'm worried I may be injuring a ligament or something.

Can someone explain the best way to initially condition a complete beginner's knees to the burden of running, or at least point me to some helpful sites where I can learn about this stuff? Getting started sucks b@lls.

Thanks in advance. -J

1:08 AM  
Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Answer for metamatician:

1.  For the next six weeks you should alternate between running and walking.  This workout, known as a run/walk, would have you run a distance (such as 0.5 miles), then walk for a while, then run again.  This helps you acclimate to running.

2.  Buy a foam roller and use it after every workout.  You can find instructions and places to purchase on the internet.  Rolling out your IT band will relieve pressure on your patellar tendon.

3.  Allieve.  It works.

Good luck.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home