Saturday, December 02, 2006

Winter is bad for running

I can give you a list....but in the Winter I shut down. When it's dark, my body tells me to sleep. I lost count of the number of times I felt tired and ready for bed and the clock just say 7:30pm. Just think what it does to my running.

I'm managing a pitiful 2 miler 3 times during the weekdays. Saturday I usually do a 4 mile trail run with sis or we do a track workout. On Sunday I hike for a couple of miles.

That's it...I hope it's enough to maintain some sort of fitness level--I don't think I'll be much better until the Spring.

I need a goal...I'm thinking the Avenue of the Giants 1/2 marathon in May...but I'm just so undecided.

8 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

This time of year makes me feel the same way! By the time I get home from work it's dark outside so I just want to eat and go to bed...keep up with what you can and this "slump" will turn around in no time!

11:59 AM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

Hang in there. Take it inside if you need to.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

I'm right there with you, darkness at 4:45 is a killer on my activity level too! I'm mostly trying to fit 1 short run during the week and one long run on the week-ends.... I also hope this is enough to keep my fitness level for now!!

I'm starting to train for a half in March so that'll get me going soon! I think we all need some sort of race goal to start moving!! Good job finding a race! =)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Mmem said...

I hear you, I was in my jammies at 7 last night!!!! :-)

Find a race to train for, that is a good idea:-)

3:11 AM  
Blogger runliarun said...

A goal is good to have. It will give you structure. You did a marathon, so a half in May won't be too hard. And you can always change your mind, if another race tempts you later on :).

7:53 AM  
Blogger teacherwoman said...

Imagine what it is like up here in ND? Hehehe. I am on the road to work when it's dark and heading back to town when the sun is setting. It's hard to stay motivate, that is for sure!

5:00 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Winter is tough but I find it a nice time to run peacefully. Try to find something unique and out on the East coast!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

Two miles 3X a week is better than nothing. I'm also struggling to get miles in. Are there any upcoming 5Ks in your area? That helps motivate me.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home