Thursday, July 20, 2006

Warm ups

How do you guys warm up during runs? What works best for you?

One of the strongest runs I had recently (ok yesterday) was when I met up with my sister for a 5 miler and we started off doing 3/2's and when that was not a challenge anymore we just decided to run until we felt like stopping. Needless to say, we ran the last 3 miles without a break. It's not really that distance that's special, but the fact that we were both felt relaxed and really, really strong...Like it was easy (JINX). I know it takes a couple of miles before your body stops rebelling and gives in, but what y'all do until you get to that point?

I've read lots about the subject, but really want to hear it from the "real experts" out there.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do the same as runnergirl. After reading Chi running I did start to incorporate their warm up which is great and I actually recommend it which means I should get back to doing the warm up myself. Thanks for the reminder and honestly the book really did help me.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

If it is just a regular run I warm up like runnergirl and make sure I loosen up easily. If it is a race, I will take 1-2 miles and go slow (slow is relative) with a few friends where we are talking. The point is to loosen up, get the legs flowing and then race hard.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

When I start out on a training run, I run slower than usual. It's mostly subconscious though, because I'm usually stiff and couldn't go faster if I tried!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Rhea said...

I usually stretch my hamstrings for a few seconds by bending down and touching my toes, then run slowly for a half-mile to a mile to warm up. The first mile is always the hardest.

7:16 PM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

No warm up here! I just start off in a slightly slower pace where I am comfortable.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm not an expert but I just run to warm up. I "try" to run at a slower pace than what I'm gonna do the whole run in, but that usually doesn't happen and then my body reminds me to SLOW DOWN by taking my breath away. I always tell myself "the first 2 miles will suck" and that is my warmup :)

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home