Tuesday, July 25, 2006

My Vacation Paradise!!!!

Yes, Campo, Colorado! Smack Dab in the middle of the dust bowl. Population 150 (not counting the rattlesnakes, horny toads, and prairie dogs). Median income $20,000. Median house value
$19,300--I kid you not ! And I'm not even visiting Campo proper, but about 5 miles outside of town.

This is not pretty hilly, foresty, South Parky, Colorado, but Southeast Colorado, just North of Oklahoma....Gosh...got that "Oklahoma" song stuck in my head from that darn musical now.

I'm going to visit my Mom and step-Dad, and No! I didn't grow up there. My Mom had an internet romance about 10 years ago and married a man who has a homestead there. From Northern California to Campo. And she loves it there and her hubby--we all think he's great too. I do love them both tremendously and I'm happy to see them. I just wish he was from Maui.

I'm not going alone. I'm dragging (almost literally) my 16 year old daughter along. My marathon partner sister and her kids are coming too. The main reason for this visit is to introduce my 3 month old nephew to his grandparents (my mom claims she's too old to travel, but she's in perfect health and not yet 70). Sis and I plan to continue our marathon training there--and we'll get a little high-altitude training to boot.

Traveling should be interesting. We drive the gang to SF airport (1 3/4 hours away), fly into Colorado Springs, and then rent a car and drive 4 hours to Campo. My sis swears her 2 year old is a GREAT traveler. I'll let you know...

Although my mom does have a computer and internet connection, her connection is normally only 14.4k per second. You know like 56k modems...she's got one, but she also has horrible phone lines. You'll be lucky if you hear from me at all.

So what to at Mom's:
1. Watch satelite TV (she's one up on me here...I don't have cable tv...by choice)
2. Eat mom's meat n' potatoes cooking
3. Play dominos
4. Eat Schwan's (they deliver to my Mom's)
5. Read
6. Eat more
7. ride horses (if not too hot)
8. Eat 2nd supper
9. Marathon train
10. Eat lots and lots of ice cream (I'm bringing her a few jars of Fenton's fudge sauce)--I'm going off the wagon sugar-wise.
12. Wait for internet pages to load
13. Visit with family

Well you get the point.

Hey, if you happen to be in that part of Colorado look us up! Just ask anyone around (they're bound to be a cousin of my step-dad). Just ask them where the folks from California are visiting--they'll point you in the right direction.

Until next time..............................

10 Comments:

Blogger Mmem said...

Bon voyage, enjoy the 'unplugged' time:-)

6:05 PM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

Wow! That's a roadrunner in the picture you posted. I am from Colorado Springs - now in Minnesota. I love the area and DRY summer weather. Have fun!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Backofpack said...

Have fun! We lived in Rifle, Colorado for a year and loved it. It was quite a change from Washington - there wasn't much green to be seen.

Enjoy your vacation and let us know when you are back!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Sounds like a most excellent time to get a lot of good miles in! Good luck and enjoy the visit!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Rice said...

I lived in a town like that. My mom and dad came to visit and they stoped at the drug store to find out where my house was. Enjoy the icecream, its so worth it..

cheers.

Rice

12:54 PM  
Blogger SRR said...

Oh no! Dial up connection then? I dread that when I leave for vaca in a bit. I'll be heading to the library for computer usage.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

It sounds like my mom and dad's house! Mom's cooking repetoire hasn't changed and neither has her taste in TV shows. I laughed at the "just ask where the people from California are staying."

9:04 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Have a great trip! You've inspired me to go eat some ice cream!

8:50 PM  
Blogger *jeanne* said...

Oh, MY! It looks DRY out there!
Stay hydrated, and watch out for those rattle snakes!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

I hope your 16yo doesn't become too unbearasble out there. Sounds like it has the potential to be stress free out there... Enjoy

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home