Sunday, July 23, 2006

Heat is not one of the secret ingredients

The short version of yesterday's 10 miler--We did it but it wasn't pretty.

I told my sister Friday night that it was forcasted that the temps would reach 105 on Saturday and that we should start out by 7:00AM. Sis veto'd that. She's not an early riser. She said as long as we're out of the door by 8, we should be okay.

I arrived at my sis' house at a few minutes before 8, and she hadn't finished feeding the baby. Long story short, we left the house around 8:30, and it was already feeling warm.

We did everything the same as last week. We brought our camelbaks, sports beans, we were doing the same route that has lots and lots of shade in the middle miles. I was feeling pretty good at the start, my sister was sluggish. About a mile into the run she told me she "forgot" to drink her standard 2 cups of water before we set out, but was drinking from her camelbak to make up for it. I suggested that she eat a package of sports beans and maybe that will give her a pep too.

She just kept saying "nope, this isn't gonna be my day".

Around the 4 mile mark she sheepishly asked to use my cell phone. She drank all of her water and wanted to call my brother to bring us more. The Camelbak carries 48 oz of water and somehow she guzzled all of it before our half-way point. My brother (always a good sport) arrived and filled up both of our waters.

She was still slow. Around 4.75, we reached a really hurrendous hill (I still have to sync up the garmin to find out how steep it was). The proudest moment of this run, maybe even ANY run. Is we both "ran" the whole ugly thing.

At 6 miles my sister announced she was out of water again. Holy cow! 48 oz lasted us almost the entire 9 miler we did last week! I still had plenty of water so we just shared it until we got to a hose 1.5 miles from home.

I'm pretty sure the heat was in the low 90's on our last stretch. To make matters worse, it was pretty humid, which is something we're not used to in California. We were both slow at that point, doing the marathon shuffle at 8 miles. Heat will kill you. Every time.

But...we did do the distance, we kept to our 3/2 routine, so that's something to be proud of. We celebrated when we got back home with a good lunch, a nap in her air conditioned house, a good dinner and blackberry cobbler a la mode for dessert--I'm not eating excess sugar right now, but 10 miles is a milestone, right?

We had a record high of 111 in her town yesterday. It's 8:30AM now and it's already81 degrees. Yuck.

Next week is a recovery week, thank God for that, because we'll be running it in one of the most godforsaken places in the United States......Stay tuned......

6 Comments:

Blogger MNFirefly said...

Oh ICK! I hate the heat too. I can not wait until it cools down a little bit.

11:13 AM  
Blogger teacherwoman said...

Sounds like quite the heated run! Way to get it done!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

If I read it correctly your sister did 96 fl oz in the 10 miles. You can actually hurt yourself (rare cases death) with to much over hydration. Something to consider if she isn't ready she probably be better of skipping it until she is ready.

Good job on your part with sticking with it!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I stumbled upon your blog on Dori's blog... ;)

What's up with this ridiculous CA weather? Good for you getting in your run, even with the heat.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Backofpack said...

Yep, the heat has been awful lately. Next winter when we are all complaining about the rain, cold and snow, we'll have to remember this!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Mmem said...

That is a LOT of water, lol. WTG on getting through the 10 miles, hills and all, through that heat & humidity.

GL with the marathon training, wow!

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home