Wednesday, September 20, 2006

There are no bad hills...

We did 18 miles on Saturday. Most of the running was done on trails at the local regional park. Sis wanted to stay close to home and the park offered water fountains and 'real' bathrooms (we could write a travel guide on the best porta-potties in Sonoma County at this point). The caveat to running in this park is that you can't go 50 yards without encountering a hill of some sort.

The first 3 miles weren't all that bad, we reasoned we'd walk the hills and run the rest.

Then a funny thing happened. We were running UP the hills too. I got this crazy boost of energy. My breathing felt good, my legs were strong, my mood was up up up. I had a Beck's "Summer Girl" stuck in my head (which has a great rhythm for running). Sis felt the same way (although she hates Beck).

At 10 miles we stopped at the bathroom and did the usual and refilled our water. I had some sports-beans too. I had the first bag around 6 miles (first time I actually ate while running...I just didn't want to stop). I just wanted to stay on this boost. I felt so energized I felt a bit like The Great Cornholio
Sis didn't know what to make of me.

The next 6 were uneventful. My legs started to tire, Sis started to really slow, so we took it easy (ie....walked or hiked a lot)

The last 2 miles we picked it up again and ran most of it. Not bothering with intervals, we just wanted to see if we could run. And we did!

With the crazy hills we did on this run we have convinced ourselves that this run was really like 22 miles. Don't really care what the reality is.....

We've got 14 on Saturday and I'm thinking we'll do the hills again.

Rice
is so right!!! There are no bad hills. Thank you for reminding me of that!

7 Comments:

Blogger Mmem said...

That is SUPER! Wow, what a run, 18 miles, WOW!

You & your sis are going to do that marathon just fine! How exciting!:-)

5:16 AM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

WOW! Awesome!! You will do great!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

That is the greatest feeling in the world...that feeling when you get those miles in and still feel like if you had to, you could have gone more. That was the point that I knew I was ready, and I know you are too!!

Awesome updates! Can't wait to hear more!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Backofpack said...

Good for you! It's great that you felt so good and enjoyed yourself - way to go!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Rice said...

lol,, you ROCK!

I kept telling myself that the other day when I was doing a hill. It was the first time running that I had a convolution to throw up. Its nice to know that I’m pushing myself to a higher level.

Cheers.

Rice.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try to jump on your bandwagon about the hills but I don't know if that will happen. Up for 20 this week?

5:12 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Great runs! Hills are your friends and will do wonders for your training. Your going to do very well and just keep at it!

I almost made it to CA but alas work sent me to Pittsburgh instead. Hopefully soon I get out there, I love visiting CA.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home