Friday, September 15, 2006

One Run

It's funny how one single run can turn things around.

I've been feeling really burned out from running lately. I just can't find any mojo or energy to do it. I began to think that maybe I was running too many miles; that maybe this whole marathon thing was a bad idea.

I have to admit I slacked a lot on my runs lately. Either doing shorter runs than scheduled or doing a lot more walking just because I didn't feel like running.

But something happened on my run yesterday. I decided to do this 6.5 mile loop that goes through some pretty hilly (but very scenic and peaceful) areas. The run started off exactly like all my other ones have recently--all of those thoughts and feelings bubbling up. I don't want to do this, I'm too tired, I am really not cut out for this...you know, standard stuff. I bargained with myself that I as long as I did these miles I wouldn't run up any of those steep hills (aren't we always bargaining when it comes to running?). I just go to get these miles in.

What turned the run around, was for some reason I decided to run up one of the more steeper hills. Yeah, it was hard. Yeah, my heart rate was through the roof, but I did it. After conquering that hill, something changed. I finally felt I had energy...maybe I got a little of my mojo back. I don't know--but that run was the best one I've had in a few weeks.

Good thing too, because tomorrow we've got to do 18 freaking miles.

Oh lordy.........................

6 Comments:

Blogger MNFirefly said...

Awesome job on conquering those hills.

You are not alone in getting the long mileage in. I am scheduled to do 9 miles.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Good luck on your 18 miler. Glad you had a good run and I hope the rest of your life turns around soon. You've had a lot to deal with lately.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

we all face those evil thoughts from time to time. i know because i had to earlier this week.

congrats on beating them down!

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been experiencing the same problems expect I have been skipping my runs altogether. Thursday I seemed to get back in the swing of things and my 18 today wasn't all that bad! Hope you survived yours as well.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Rice said...

It’s not easy to run a marathon and its even harder to train for it. If it were easy it probably would not be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life..

Cheers

Rice.

PS. There are no bad hills

4:48 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Burnout seems to be the name of the game lately. Must be the time of year. It feels like every other blog is about burn out. Glad the feeling turned around for you.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home