Sunday, August 06, 2006

Stupid ITB! Why can't I Just Have a Great Run!

Yesterday we had to run 12 miles. The conditions were perfect. We were both well hydrated, nurished, rested from our vacation. The weather was very mild, and most importantly, we were motivated!

The first 5 miles were uneventful--actually I would call them great. We both were running very strong and faster than normal (about a 11:00 per mile pace) and we were pretty peppy during our walk periods too. I even remember thinking that there was nothing that I would be rather doing than running this 12 miles (except maybe being on a tropical vacation). I even commented that this might be our fastest, and strongest run yet! JINX!!

Around the 5th mile we had to climb this hellacious hill, that went okay, but the running down the hill seemed to go on and on (actually it was over a 1/2 mile according to the garmin). We both agreed that we would not try to run back up this hill as we didn't want to poop ourselves out for the remaining miles. At the 6th mile turnaround point, I started feeling a twinge and stiffness on the outside of my right knee.

I ignored it.

The twinge turned into a dull ache and would stop completely during our walking breaks. I tried to stop and do some stretching (touching my toes) and though it felt good, it really didn't do anything for the ache that began when I started running again.

We continued on...The dull ache turned into a mild pain......

Around the 10th mile (just 2 miles left) I started doing the marathon shuffle. My pace was no better than 13:30 per mile. The pain kept on coming and actually started to shift upwards to my hip.

The 11th mile was greated with a really sharp pain in the outside of the knee. I stopped running. I could still walk without pain so I just tried to "walk it out". We did one more 3 minute run (wobble) and finished the distance with walking....

The most frustrating thing about this run is that everything else felt great. I still had TONS of energy and motivation to keep running; sis did too. If it wasn't for this damn pain this would've been the BEST run ever. It turns out that our time was still great (about a 14:30 mile average) for us, but it just didn't feel great.

*SIGH*

After the run and shower, I felt pretty good. A little stiff but no knee/leg pain. Back home, I searched my running books and the internet and it appears that I have the beginnings of ITBS.

*SIGH*

I tried some of the stretching exercises and I definately felt the twinge again. I also found some
strengthening exercises too. I stupidly did them yesterday (leg lifts and such). Today my ITB is sore...from the running and the exercise. I'm trying to gently stretch it today and I'm also trying this self massage therapy that I found on Rainbow's Blog. I'm also taking 2400 mg of ibuprofin a day to get the inflamation down (if there is any). This all might be overkill for one occurance, but I don't want to take any chances.

Other things I'm gonna do:

1. Get a new pair of running shoes for my longer runs. I have about 300 miles on my present pair and maybe they are starting to break down. I'm also going have FleetFeet evaluate my gait on my mizunos and make sure that this is still the best kind for me.

2. Stretch after my runs. I never have before but I think this is way overdue.

3. Ask for advice from fellow running bloggers. Have you had ITB problems? What is your best advice for nipping this one in the bud???

Today is crosstraining day. I was thinking about doing some yoga, but I'm worried about over-stretching. Maybe I will just go on a lovely long walk.




10 Comments:

Blogger Backofpack said...

I use a white foam roller and do just what the other blogger said to do with the ball. I also have found this new stuff - Stoppain - at Super Supplements that rolls on and really works. It will help with the existing pain, but you will still need to strengthen and stretch to prevent problems. Good luck!

3:08 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

oh yes, i had ITBS and it started about five weeks out from my marathon, which i was also walk/running.

Stretching after=vital.

I ended up going to a sports doc, and then to five weeks of PT, 3x week. I made it thru the marathon.

This time around, I'm doing strength trainining and cross training and stretching religiously...cross fingers, so far so good. Oh, I also bought the STICK, which is like the foam roller only it's a flexible stick that you roll on yourself.

I took a week off when it first happened (well, not totally off, just off running. I did the elliptical instead.) at least you are catching it early!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I believe the foam roller to be an instrument of torture, but man, my IT band always stops aching when I roll regularly...

7:27 PM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

I recommend the Advil, stretching, and rest, if needed. I have been told by one of the runner I ran in the race with the IT band strap works WONDERS. I will buying one very soon and see if I can get any relief.

Hang in there!

8:30 PM  
Blogger SRR said...

Rest...rest...rest!! (spoken from a runner who doesn't know how to though!)

5:01 AM  
Blogger Mmem said...

I have no idea what to do since I'm a newbie, but I am just glad you are catching this early! GL GL GL!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Stretching afterwards is one of the best things for your running. Plus, it feels good and helps you wind down.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

I had ITB issues a few years ago. I had to take 30 days off completely and start over. I was also playing soccer and had to give that up (to much stress with running and soccer). Your smart to redo the shoes and that needs to be periodically. I would also try to find some soft areas to run on such as a trail or (golfers ignore this) a fairway. ITB tends to be more common on the right side of the body for runners as we run on the left side. Try to change up the way you run if you can and avoid going down hills. Going up hills is fine but down hill will put more pressure on you.


Good luck!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I experienced ITBS earlier this year, and as you know, it is an annoying pain to have to deal with. For me, I took it easy for about 3 weeks and bought a new pair of shoes that better fit my running style. Ever since the new shoes, I have had no problems with it. It is amazing what the right pair of shoes will do for you. Stop by a running store and ask for advice on what to wear. And of course, proper stretching will prevent most injuries. Good luck and keep it up!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Rice said...

Spend the money on new shoes. This is the one thing you should never skimp on. My knees (and my doc) taught me that.

I stretch after every run and I do at least 30 min of stretching every morning well I watch a rerun of last nights 11 o’clock news. I find if I skip this I start to get sore even if I’m not working out.

Not sure on your running past but I had to go back to square one and rebuild my base with long slow distance (9 months worth) to work on building my endurance and this also helps to build your joints and strengthen your tendons. HIGHLY recommended.

Cheers.

Rice.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home