Saturday, October 25, 2008

Post Marathon Blues

I've got the blues! The combination of the weather/light changing (I HATE Winter), the lack of exercise, complete and utter work stress, and the fact that the one thing that I have looked forward to for months and months is over, is taking its toll.

I'm just BLAH and a complete grouch.

Like I said, work is INSANE; we're overworked and under appreciated. We have a new management structure and I just feel like our new bosses don't have our backs like the old ones did. I am trying to be vocal about it, which is a balancing act because I don't want to come off as a whiner, but things have got to change! Years (and years) in a crappy and utterly dysfunctional married has taught me that you don't have to remain unhappy and miserable. You have alternatives. I hope my bosses know that. ; )

I'm glad to report however that my knee is feeling fine and I'm not sore anymore. I did a couple of gentle hikes this week, went to kickboxing (upper body workout), and tried out a 2 mile run. These workouts really pale to what I was doing before, which was often 2 hard workouts a day. There is really nothing like a hard workout, or in the case of my running, a long slow ordeal to clear your head and help you process things. It's amazing to see how much I benefited mentally from these workouts, and how much different I am without them.

My eating is off the hook, there's nothing like nursing the blues with a big bowl of ice cream!

But I'm trying to stay busy. Today, I have my knitting group, shopping to do as I am hosting a baby shower for my sister-in-law tomorrow. Saturday officially has been my rest day, but I plan to do some yoga and/or get some upper body resistance training in. I might start a totally crazy and whacked out multi-year knitting project that will literally take years for me to complete. I'm just that crazy today... ; )

I think that's enough whining today!

For those of you running the Healdsburg 1/2 tomorrow Good Luck!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sonia said...

Good to hear the knee is better. We all go through the blues and depression post-race LOL Get a new goal and you'll feel better, the eating will get under control too.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Julianne said...

So happy to hear that your knee is ok!! As for your post marathon blues, do you have anything other races lined up?? That might help??

5:57 PM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

Woo hoo! Entrelac sock yarn afghan hitting the needles.

Bwahahahahahaha

9:46 AM  
Blogger Aron said...

was that directed at me?? :)

hope you feel better soon!! its crazy the high you get after a marathon and then the post blues also... i avoided those by signing up for another one :)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Geez, you're taking longer to post than I did. Happy New Year and I hope all is well with you. Any upcoming races?

4:48 PM  
Blogger prashant said...

you'll feel better, the eating will get under control too.
home jobs india

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home